How to remove a quick-view PDF from google. You need to remember to submit the url of the originating document and not the url of the cached quick-view page. Either remove the PDF from the server or block by robots directive.
PDF Removal Notes
- You need the url which the PDF or document was hosted on.
- Make sure that you have removed it from the server and it returns a 404 response.
- Copy the url from the address bar after clicking on the title in the results
- You might also be able to form the hosted url from the quick-view cache url if you are proficient in that area.
- You can also block by x-robots.tag or robots.txt file.
- Note : If you click on the title of the url and you are served the PDF from the site then it is still hosted. This is okay if you have blocked it, if you have not, then you need to work to block the PDF by returning a 404/410 or other method
Watch a video on PDF removal
Further notes : You cannot request a cache removal for non-html content like pdf or word document. If you have amended the content and you want the quick-view to be updated then you would be best deleting the old one and getting a new one indexed. Google does not crawl PDF’s or word documents as often as normal web content so you might be waiting a long time for a natural refresh.